A Mere Snickers Trifle
I wanted to make something special for my mom, and this was the ticket. Cream, sugar and chocolate equals the perfect dessert.
I suppose naming this a trifle is contestable, but the other options of “layered dessert” or the equally inappropriate “parfait” don’t fit either. Basically, there is no clear nomenclature for desserts; people get pretty liberal with their recipe titles. Trifle sounds pretty cool, so I’m sticking with it.
The thought of classifying and categorizing a broad spectrum of increasingly creative desserts makes me think of the difficulty scientists face in coming up with taxonomic categorizations of every animal. If it’s tough for them, it’s impossible for recipes.
Whatever this dessert is called, it is light and fluffy, rich and chocolaty, sweet and silky. There’s no arguing with that.
For accompaniment, I’ll serve up a light-sounding song by Sufjan Stevens. It comes from his new album CARRIE & LOWELL, which came out quite recently. There’s a touch of sweetness to it as well, much like the trifle.
A Mere Snickers Trifle
Good for a potluck of a dozen or slightly more people
(Borrowed from Tina, Mamas Like Me)
- 1 pan of brownies (1 prepared box of brownie mix or your own recipe)
- 1 (3.9 ounce or 113 gram) box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 (14 ounce or 300 millilitre) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 20 ounces (almost 2 litres) whipped cream (light Cool Whip works great)
- 1/4 cup caramel syrup
- 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 4 Snickers bars, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- Cut the brownie into 1-inch squares.
- Prepare the chocolate pudding by mixing the instant chocolate pudding mix with sweetened condensed milk and water. Blend on low speed until mixed and then beat at medium speed until fluffy. Fold in 8 ounces of Cool Whip and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a clear serving bowl, start the trifle by placing the brownie squares on the bottom and drizzling with caramel syrup. Cover with half of the chocolate pudding mix then top with about 4-ounces of whipped cream. Sprinkle half the Snickers pieces on top. Drizzle with caramel and chocolate syrup.
- Repeat layers with the rest of the brownies, chocolate pudding mix, whipped cream and Snickers. Drizzle the top with caramel sauce and chocolate sauce.
- Refrigerate for eight hours before serving. After serving call an ambulance as all the guests will be experiencing sugar highs.