Citrus and Stay Salad (Virtual Vegan Potluck 2014)
I can’t believe it’s been more than a year since the last Virtual Vegan Potluck. I’m so excited to take part again, and this year I’ve brought a salad to the party.
It’s simple, but extraordinarily tasty none the less. The tropical citrus fruits and fresh ginger give a warm-weather kind of feeling, which is really nice when the temperatures outside are freezing.
I’m actually looking forward to bringing this to potlucks in the summertime when grapefruits and limes are at their freshest. When I picked up the limes from the grocery store for the dressing, they were in a pretty dire condition. I was still able to squeeze enough juice out of them for this dressing, but it was not terribly easy.
I can’t think of a better song for this recipe than “Tropical Iceland” by The Fiery Furnaces. I know, it’s a bit strange. The Fiery Furnaces (headed by a pair of siblings) love making strange sounds while still strumming out some catchy melodies. I think it’s pretty fun:
Okay, now onto our own tropical tossing:
Citrus and Stay Salad [Vegan]
Good for 8-12 side servings.
- 1 head of butter-leaf lettuce (or your preferred green), washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Cut off the peel and pith of the grapefruit. Over a bowl, carefully cut out each segment, allowing the juice to drip into the bowl. Save the juice for later. Place the grapefruit chunks on the torn lettuce in a serving bowl.
- For the dressing, combine 2 tablespoons of the reserved grapefruit juice, the lime juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, sugar and canola oil. Blend or stir vigorously to emulsify. Put the dressing into a spouted bottle (dressing will likely need to be stirred or shaken before people use it). Bring the salad and dressing to your potluck.
Now that you’ve tried this, you can go explore more! Go back to The Compassion.it or go onward to Parsley In My Teeth.